The group shall be known as the "Berwickshire Community Councils'
Forum", and referred to as BCCF throughout this document.
The BCCF is open to all Community Councils within Berwickshire.
The principal objectives shall be:-
- To improve communications between Community Councils, Local
Government and other bodies.
- To facilitate debate on matters of common interest to some or all
Community Councils and to encourage the exchange of ideas and views
between Community Councils.
- The BCCF shall be non-political, non-sectarian and non- racial.
- To provide support as and when needed by affiliated councils.
- Additional objectives will be by resolution of any meeting.
- There shall be two scheduled meetings each year, one of which will
be the Annual General Meeting to be held in March.
- The meetings will be open to all Berwickshire Community Councils
whether affiliated or not.
- Extraordinary meetings may be requested by any affiliated
Community Council or by the Office Bearers acting jointly.
The extraordinary meeting shall be called within 14 days of the
Chairperson accepting a valid request and be held within 42 days of
- Should the Chairperson be unable to attend then members present
shall appoint one of their number to act in that capacity for the
duration of the meeting, subject to the conditions of rule 5.a.
||Officers and Committees
- The elected Office Bearers shall be:-
each of whom shall be a serving member of an affiliated Community
Council but not an elected member of a Local Authority. The positions
of Secretary and Treasurer may be combined if so decided by a
resolution of an AGM.
- The election of office bearers shall be for a period of three
years although the term of the first incumbents is to be adjusted so
that the posts of Chairperson and Secretary do not fall vacant at the
- Elections shall be by a majority vote at the AGM. Each nominee
shall have a proposer and a seconder both of whom are serving members
of different affiliated Community Councils. Notice of nomination of an
office bearer shall be in the hands of the Secretary fourteen days
before the AGM to allow all the affiliated members to be notified
seven days in advance of the meeting.
- The BCCF shall have no permanent committee but may appoint an ad
hoc one for any purpose.
- Community Councils may send one or more representatives to each
meeting. In the case of a vote being taken (on any matter) then each
affiliated Community Council will have one vote. Where no majority
occurs then the Chairperson shall have the casting vote, unless the
motion is for the appointment of a Chairperson. In this case the
decision shall be by lot, adjudicated by the Secretary.
- A quorum shall consist of representatives from one fourth of the
affiliated Community Councils.
As a matter of policy, representatives from the local authorities and
the news media will be invited to the two scheduled BCCF meetings.
Representatives from other organisations may be invited to BCCF
meetings and may take part in the business at the discretion of the
- Affiliation fees for the forthcoming year shall be decided at each
AGM and shall be payable before the end of May following the AGM.
- Voting rights will become valid on receipt of the affiliation fee.
- The Treasurer shall, as directed by a BCCF meeting, open accounts
with appropriate financial institutions.
- The Treasurer shall keep proper and accurate accounts of the
income and expenditure of the BCCF and shall present an audited
account for approval at the AGM.
- An Auditor shall be appointed by a BCCF meeting.
- The financial year shall be from 1st February to 31st January.
- Should the BCCF be dissolved, any remaining funds shall be
distributed for charitable purposes.
- The Secretary shall keep an accurate record of all affiliated
Community Councils and any other items required by resolution at an
- The Secretary shall keep accurate minutes of all meetings and
shall attend to correspondence.
- Agendas shall be sent to all affiliated Community Councils at
least seven days before any meeting and copies of the minutes
circulated by the Secretary within one month.
- Any business to be included on an ordinary meeting agenda must be
in the Secretary's hands at least fourteen days before the due date.
Each agenda shall include an item of "Any Other Business" and subjects
will be accepted for discussion by a show of hands of those attending.
There shall be no restriction on the topics which can be discussed.
||Alterations to the Constitution
- Changes to the Constitution of BCCF can only be made at an Annual
General Meeting providing that two thirds of the affiliated community
councils in attendance give their approval.
- Any proposal to amend this Constitution must be notified to the
Secretary by an affiliated Community Council 56 days before the Annual
- The Secretary will circulate details of any proposed change at
least 42 days before the Annual General Meeting to allow affiliated
Community Councils adequate time for consultation.
Approved on 18th October 1994 by an inaugural meeting
of the Forum.