The Ayton district lies a few miles inland from the coastal
town of Eyemouth, in an arable farming region.
Being on the main route north, there has been a settlement at Ayton for many
years, with the oldest surviving remnant being the old kirk, dating back to
the 12th century.
However it was in the 1820s with the realignment of the
Great North Road that the village began to grow in its present location. In
1844 the Edinburgh to Berwick railway was opened and a station at Ayton
benefited the village. It closed in 1966.
After a fire destroyed Ayton House
in 1834 William Mitchell Innes built the present Ayton Castle on the site
between 1846 and 1851.
The village was served by a public school located just off the High Street
from 1864 until1974 when the present school was built. Another significant
building in Ayton is the church, built in 1864.
Ayton continued to grow and had many shops and businesses established in the
late 19th and well into the 20th century. However since the 1950s there has
been a steady decline in these, in common with many villages throughout the
Increasing traffic levels on the A1 was causing a problem for the village,
and the building of a bypass in the early 1980s provided relief. This
changed the character of the village, and although not good for businesses
relying on passing trade, has resulted in a more environmentally friendly,
safer community. The building of new houses in recent years has increased
the population slightly, with people travelling daily as far as Edinburgh
and Newcastle for employment.
Key Issues facing the community
- Ageing population
- Lack of employment (especially for young people)
- Poor public transport
- Lack of a proper community facility
- Lack of low cost, affordable housing
- Local Projects
- Village appraisal completed. Results being analysed
- Improved play facilities for children soon to be completed
- New Gateway project being planned.